Could Facebook be planning to build a Westworld-like theme park in the near future? Maybe not, but a strange patent for a “Mechanical Eyeball 100” was recently uncovered and it’s basically a robotic eye designed to resemble its human counterpart, complete with two rotational axes that intersect at a center point. For those who have never seen the Westworld TV series, it revolves around a fictional, technologically advanced Wild-West-themed amusement park populated by android “hosts”. Read more for another picture and additional information.
If you dig deeper into the patent, you’ll see that the sketches show that the mechanical eyeball also has parts that look near identical to the human eye’s sclera, retina, cornea, pupil and iris. When paired with a robotic head, you will have an android with eyes that appear authentic to an observer, thanks to sensors that help it see. These sensors can be trained via machine learning to improve accuracy in identifying objects.
Oculus Quest 2 — Advanced All-In-One Virtual Reality Headset — 128 GB
- Next-level Hardware – Make every move count with a blazing-fast processor and our highest-resolution display
- All-In-One Gaming – With backward compatibility, you can explore new titles and old favorites in the expansive Quest content library
- Immersive Entertainment – Get the best seat in the house to live concerts, groundbreaking films, exclusive events and more
- Easy Setup – Just open the box, set up with the smartphone app and jump into VR. No PC or console needed. Requires wireless internet access and the Oculus app (free download) to set up device
- Premium Display – Catch every detail with a stunning display that features 50% more pixels than the original Quest